Contact Academic Affairs
Location: Notar Admin Bldg.
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00am - 5:00pm
College Board - CLEP Exams - College Level Examination Program
Niagara County Community College recognizes that learning takes place in all phases of life, not just in a classroom. CLEP exams offer college credit for knowledge you have acquired through independent study, prior course work, professional development, on-the-job training, cultural pursuits or in some other manner. Consult the current NCCC CLEP Exam Transfer Equivalency Guide.
The tests are based upon typical courses offered at most colleges. It is important that students consult their home schools/advisors to verify CLEP credits earned are acceptable as course equivalents.
CLEP exams are computer-based, approximately 90 minutes in length and primarily include multiple-choice questions. Some exams, like College Composition, include an essay section. Language exams include listening sections. Students can sit for two exams in a day, each requiring CLEP/ administration fees.
How to Schedule a CLEP exam
- Call NCCC at 716-614-6863 for a recording of the test dates and times.
- Schedule a test date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include date/time you would like to sit for the exam and your phone number. You will receive a confirmation email.
- Create a personal account through the “My Account” registration portal at http://clep.collegeboard.org. Use this account to select the exam(s) you intend to take and pay the $89* CLEP exam fee.
* Effective July 1, 2019, the CLEP exam fee will increase to $89. Test takers who purchase their registration tickets on or after that date will be charged the new fee. Registration tickets purchased prior to that date will still be valid until their stated expiration dates.
CLEP testing will continue to be free for eligible military service members, spouses, and civilian employees (see eligibility details).
CLEP exam dates
|Saturday||August 3rd||10 am and 1 pm|
|Wednesday||August 21st||5 pm|
|Saturday||September 7th||10 am and 1 pm|
|Wednesday||September 18th||5 pm|
|Saturday||October 12th||10 am and 1 pm|
|Wednesday||October 23rd||5 pm|
|Saturday||November 2nd||10 am and 1 pm|
|Wednesday||November 20th||5 pm|
|Saturday||December 7th||10 am and 1 pm|
|Wednesday||December 18th||5 pm|
On exam day, bring the following to NCCC Testing Center A-167:
- A valid registration ticket from the “My Account” registration portal. Registering for an exam provides you with a payment receipt and a CLEP Registration Ticket; you also must contact a test center to schedule the date and time you wish to take the test.
- A money order or check for $25.00 (U.S. funds), made payable to Niagara County Community College (NCCC), for the non-refundable administration fee. You must have proper payment in order to take the exam.
- Identification: your driver’s license, passport or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature. Your first and last name on your ID must match the name on your registration ticket. Please visit the CLEP website for complete identification requirements.
Directions to NCCC Sanborn Campus:
Testing Center A-167: niagaracc.suny.edu/pdf/internal-campus-map.pdf
CLEP exams are free for eligible military personnel through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). For more information on CLEP for military personnel - go to https://clep.collegeboard.org/earn-college-credit/military-benefits
Preparing for a CLEP exam
Most students find that test preparation is necessary and helpful. For study information, visit www.collegeboard.com/clep. For each exam, there is an outline of the knowledge and skill covered in the test, sample questions, and a list of textbooks/resources for study materials. You can also take a practice exam: https://clep.collegeboard.org/earn-college-credit/practice