Retention Specialist (Technical Assistant)
Nursing & Allied Health
DATE DUE: Continuous
Full-time, twelve-month grant funded position, reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs (AVPAA) for Nursing and Allied Health (NAH).
The Technical Assistant is responsible for monitoring and providing enrollment and student services to the Nursing and Allied Health Area in an effort to improve student retention for at risk students. Responsibilities include working with the AVPAA for Nursing and Allied Health and the Coordinators of each program in the NAH Area to create a retention program for Niagara County Community College (NCCC) NAH students, developing and conducting workshops, monitoring student progress, providing outreach to campus academic and student support services, assisting with enrollment activities, and documenting student participation and progress. Evening/weekend hours may be required. Typical hours are Monday through Friday. Current annual salary is $43,811.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Assist with the identification of at risk students.
- Provide intake services and advisement to eligible students by assessing student needs and providing information and resources about academic requirements, financial aid, career exploration, and special support services.
- Utilize a developmental advisement approach to monitor students’ progress through scheduled individual meetings, early alert monitoring, and advance registration.
- Provide support for participants on both a scheduled and drop-in basis.
- Provide support services for students including programming developed to enhance the college experience and promote degree completion.
- Coordinate with other Retention Specialists to create progress surveys, programmatic policies and procedures, assess student progress toward program objectives, and the creation and implementation of developmental programming that supports retention and assimilation to college.
- Monitor and document student participation and correlation to student success.
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with the campus community.
- Serve as a resource for faculty and staff to identify the campus connections and resources that will foster student retention.
- Perform assigned duties during registration, orientation, advisement, and NAH open house/science night events.
- Assist with the preparation of reporting, as needed.
- Attend meetings for NAH as scheduled.
- Other duties as assigned by the AVPAA for NAH.
Must be able to relate to a diverse student population and academic personnel including individuals with disabilities; must be able to manage multiple functions; must be able to operate computers; must be able to speak to groups; must be able to physically perform the duties of the position; must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to travel between work sites.
Bachelor’s Degree; one (1) year full-time or equivalent part-time paid, professional experience working in a higher education setting.
Master’s Degree in Student Personnel Administration, Higher Education Administration, Counseling or related area; experience working with Ellucian Banner or other Student Information System in a higher education setting; public speaking experience; expertise utilizing Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Niagara County Community College considers only those applications that clearly demonstrate the applicant meets all required qualifications. Persons meeting the required qualifications as stated above should send cover letter that addresses each of the qualifications; resume; copies of unofficial transcripts of all degrees awarded; and the names and contact information for three (3) current, work-related references to Human Resources, Niagara County Community College, Sanborn, NY 14132. Please visit www.niagaracc.suny.edu for email address. Incomplete packets may be rejected for lack of information. Three written letters of reference from applicant’s references must be sent to the above address or email before an on campus interview. Search will remain open until candidate is selected however review of applications will begin immediately.
NCCC is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, citizenship, military status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.