Student Development

International Student Services FAQs

FAQs Homepage

International students can work on campus if positions are available without any authorization from USCIS. Students should make an appointment with the Program Administrator in Student Development to discuss eligibility. Likewise, students seeking off-campus employment must make an appointment with the Program Administrator to discuss off-campus options, as the process for off-campus employment is more cumbersome than the process for on-campus employment. Part of this process includes completing the I-765 and paying a fee to USCIS. Completion of the application and payment of the fee does not ensure that the student will be authorized to work. Decisions for or against authorization are at the discretion of USCIS.

Yes, you can get a second Associates Degree at NCCC before transferring for a baccalaureate degree or terminating your status and going back to the country of your citizenship.

The I-20 remains valid according to the program beginning and end dates on page one as long as you do the following:

  1. Register for classes as a full-time student (unless you are a Canadian commuter; then you may attend part-time)
  2. Attend classes regularly and maintain good academic standing
  3. Come to Student Development every year and have the I-20 signed by the Program Administrator. There should be no more than one year in between the date of the last signature and the date of the most recent signature.

Yes, the Program Administrator will notify you if you are out of status. SEVIS will also be notified, and you will then be notified by USCIS as well.

The first step to getting a Social Security number is to go to your local United States Social Security Administration office to find out what documents are necessary to verify your identity. The next step is to make an appointment with the Program Administrator to further assist you with the process.