Contact Academic Affairs

Phone: 716-614-6450
Fax: 716-614-6406
Location: Notar Admin Bldg.
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00am - 5:00pm

Student Success FAQs

FAQs Homepage

Student ID cards are needed to use as a Library card, Go Print Card ($40 print credit), to access the computer lab, to use Financial Aid for purchases at the bookstore, to use athletic facilities and equipment, and to purchase discount tickets for events in the Fine Arts Auditorium. In addition, your ANGEL Username and Banner ID are listed on the back of your ID cards.

Your academic advisor can assist you in understanding degree and course requirements, help you plan your educational path, and inform you about career or transfer options including Dual Admissions.

Dual Admissions is a special transfer program which allows a “seamless transfer” to selected four-year institution’s participating programming. See page #8 in the Student Activity Calendar, view transfer opportunities, and/or stop by the Student Resource Center office, for more information.

You should discuss any major change with your Academic Advisor or a counselor in Student Resource Center (A-144). If you decide to change your major, a counselor in Student Resource Center will discuss the appropriateness of the change based on your career goal. You will fill out a major change form. Once the change is processed you may be assigned a new advisor.

Make an appointment with your advisor (your advisor, his/her room number, as well as the week you are eligible to register are all sent through the mail) prior to registering. Make your appointment during your assigned week. Come to your appointment prepared with course selections appropriate to your major. Options for these courses can be found in your course catalog or by following this link for Course Offerings, or this link to the College catalog. You can also run a degree evaluation by logging into Banner Web. Remember to include alternate selections in case your first choices are closed. If you must cancel, call your advisor as soon as possible to notify him/her.

It will vary with each course, but the general rule is two hours of work outside of class for every “lecture hour” in class. For example, a three credit hour course will require six hours per week of work outside of class.

Class attendance is a key to success. Not attending may affect financial aid. See page #4 of the Student Activity Calendar regarding “Absence from Class”.

Everyone is different. However, research shows that students who work no more than 15 - 20 hours per week are more successful in college courses.

There are many advantages to Distance Learning (online) courses. However, they often require more effort and demand more commitment than traditional “in class” courses. You can visit the Online Learning Web page for a survey to determine if online courses are right for you.

An A means superior work and a B means above average work. Read specific course syllabi to see what is required for these “above average” grades.

GPA stands for grade point average. It is a numerical average of your accumulated class letter grades. For an example of how to calculate your GPA, see pages #8 - #9 of the student handbook or pages #45, #46 of the College catalog, or click on Calculate Your GPA.

If you wish to finish a course but are not concerned about your letter grade, S/U is an option. You will receive the credits only if an S is earned, your GPA is not affected if you receive an S or U. Be aware that an S/U grade may or may not be transferrable, depending on chosen institution. You should discuss this option with your advisor before making a decision; your financial aid may be affected. Request for S/U grade can be done in the Registration & Records Office. Check with the office for specific deadlines. See page #13 in the Student Activity Calendar or page #48 of the College catalog for more details.

If you feel that you may receive a D or an F in a class, you should strongly consider dropping the class and focusing your efforts on doing well in your remaining classes. Speak with your advisor or a counselor in Student Resource Center (A-161). If you drop a class during the first three (3) weeks of the term, it disappears from your schedule. The deadline for withdrawing classes is the 10th week of the term. Check with the Record’s Office (A-201) for assistance. Dropping/withdrawing from a class may or may not affect your financial aid. If you have questions check with a technical assistant in the Financial Aid office (A-114).

Papers are required by numerous classes, not just English. Effective communication skills are critical to many careers. If you need help, check out the Writing Center in E – 225. Research shows that papers that look neat and sharp (word processed) receive higher grades. Most instructors require papers to be word processed in order to be considered for full credit.

Not necessarily. The Academic Achievement Center in room E216 is a good place to start. You will need to develop better study strategies since doing well in college requires more than memorizing facts. You also need to apply skills and make connections between subject areas. Refer to pages #141 – #142 in the Student Activity Calendar for ‘Success Skills’.

You are still responsible for any material presented in class. It is a good idea to first ask a classmate for any class notes you missed and then meet with your instructor, if necessary.

Psychology tells us that we remember material very briefly. Taking notes and reviewing them before the next class is an important learning strategy. Refer to pages #142 – #144 in the Student Activity Calendar for ‘Note Taking Tips’. Additional help with note taking skills is available in the Academic Achievement Center (E-216).

Yes, discussing information with your peers may help you to retain information. Certain courses even offer “Supplemental Instruction”, see page #5 of the Student Activity Calendar.

Not always. It is the student’s responsibility to seek help if he/she needs it.

It's always a good idea to talk to the instructor if you're having problems. You can also visit the Academic Center for Excellence for academic coaching and free student tutoring services. For a complete list of free Academic Help see pages #4 - #5 of the Student Activity Calendar.

Be considerate of others. All electronic devices should be turned off; showing up late to class, leaving class early, and talking in class are all things that are considered disruptive to the teaching-learning process.

If you excel at a particular subject you may be a good candidate to be a tutor. Tutors are paid an hourly rate and it is an excellent complement to your resume. Stop by the Academic Center for Excellence for more information.

Research shows that involvement in clubs and organizations increases academic performance; therefore joining a club in line with your interests is not only fun, but academically beneficial! There are a variety of clubs and organizations on campus. For a complete list see pages #16 – #18 in the Student Activity Calendar. Don’t forget to pick-up a Co-Curricular Transcript so that your articulating institution will know just how involved you’ve been.

You can visit the Lewis Library, in D building, or their website. You will have access to a Reference Librarian, the Library Catalog, web-based Periodical Indexes and Databases, and useful Internet Resources.

Being part of the Student Senate is an excellent way to build your leadership skills, people skills, organizational skills and your resume for transferring to a four-year institution or straight to a job. Student Senators are elected by the student body. The responsibility of the Student Senate is to represent the student body in all matters pertaining to student life on campus, take appropriate actions, make recommendations to the President of the College and to present proposals, such as concerns, issues, and the best interest of the student body, to the Board of Trustees. Student Senate is a great way to network and get your name out in the work force as a go-getter for future employment. For more information about the Student Senate, you can look on page #14 of the Student Activities Calendar.

Complete the graduation application in the Registration & Records Office (A 201). This should be done during your final semester at NCCC. Deadlines apply, refer to the office or note postings around campus and in The Spirit newspaper.