To be eligible for membership, students must:
- Be enrolled in a regionally accredited institution offering an associate degree program
- Have completed at least 12 credits that may be applied to an associate degree (part-time students may be eligible)
- Have a grade point average of 3.5
- Receive an invitation to membership from the chapter at the College where presently enrolled
- Adhere to the moral standards of the society.
Students join Phi Theta Kappa by invitation only. Invitations are mailed once every semester and contain the necessary registration information. All members must register online.