Still Have Questions?
Contact the Starfish Success Team!
NCCC Starfish Success is a community-based early alert support and communication tool. It creates a bridge between students, instructors, success coaches, and other support personnel, to keep students on the right track.
You are letting the student know directly that you are concerned with or proud of their progress/attendance to-date. The earlier an alert is raised, the more quickly we can identify and address potential barriers to student success. If a student's other instructors also raise concerns, advisors and success coaches can see a pattern and better serve our students.
Students are also very responsive to kudos that let them know their efforts are recognized and appreciated!
How Starfish Is "One LESS Thing" for Faculty
- Provides a way for you to communicate with students and give feedback about their academic progress.
- Helps you facilitate a timely connection to campus support professionals and services for intervention.
- A new way to keep track of attendance, pull attendance reports, and automatically notify students when they are marked as absent.
- Merging academic and student services surveys and reports, requiring fewer reporting windows.
- Schedule advisement appointments that sync to NCCC Outlook, make "Notes" on appointments, and view semester tracking items (flags and kudos). Allowing for more wholistic and informed academic advisement.
- See the full list here: "One LESS Thing"
Get Started Today with Starfish
- Upload a photo to Starfish (view steps)
- Add an office location & hours
How Do I Raise a Flag in Starfish?
If you are concerned about a student and would like to connect them with support resources, add a flag in Starfish.
Note: Starfish is not a final grades or behavioral reporting tool.
- Log into Starfish
- Type the student's name in the search box at the top of the page
- Click on student's name
- Click on the "Flag" button and choose the flag that best-meets your concern
- Add comments as needed and click Submit
- The student will receive notification of this flag and a Success Coach will reach out to them.
What do the messages say? Check out our templates.
How Can Faculty/Staff Support Starfish?
- Use the system! Students will catch on when they start receiving notifications.
- Give this flyer to your advisees/students.
- Add this Starfish course statement to your course instructions/syllabi.
- Guide students to Starfish to find contact information for their Success Network (advisors, instructors, success coaches, and service offices).
The Starfish system offers a user-friendly reporting feature called "Progress Surveys." For the Spring 2018 semester, faculty will be asked to complete 3 Progress Surveys for Academic Deficiency, Census, and an optional 9th-10th week S/U/W Recommendation Survey (faculty recommended).
Census and AD faculty reports have been moved over to Starfish at the request of Academic Affairs and Registration & Records due to ease of use, faculty experience in the pilot semester, end of Banner "Faculty Feedback" system, and the overall spirit of a central communication system.
Additional tracking items (flags, kudos, referrals and to-dos) were selected by a panel of faculty members who have used the system and wanted to merge Faculty Feedback notifications with these reports to save time and reduce the number of reports per semester.
- Academic Deficiency Reporting Directions (required)
- Census Reporting Directions (required)
- S/U/W Survey Directions (optional)
- Watch the Hobson's Tutorial Video
New! Appointment Scheduling
Starfish provides increased access through online scheduling, bringing people together, whether for in-person meetings with an advisor, a phone call with a success coach, or a meeting with an instructor–including email and text message reminders.
In addition, Starfish offers an integration with your NCCC Microsoft Outlook®, allowing instructors, advisors, and student services staff to keep one schedule while Starfish manages the rest.
STARFISH PRO TIP: Be sure to add an office location in your profile first!
- Student Appointment Scheduling Directions (send to advisees and students)
- Watch the Hobson's Tutorial Video
New! Attendance Tracking
Instructors and faculty can utilize the attendance tracking feature in Starfish to keep electronic record of student attendance for easier referencing later.
Setting Up Attendance
- Open Starfish and navigate to your Students tab.
- Within the Students tab, select the Attendance sub-tab.
- If you have never utilized the Attendance feature before, you first want to set up your Class Schedule to allow for easier attendance tracking.
- On the right side of the screen, you can filter your student lists according to several different criteria.
- Always filter for the current term and select the course for which you wish to set up a schedule.
- Select the Class Schedule button and update the meeting days/times of your class.
- If the class meets at different times on different days, simply use the Add Schedule button to add additional day/time information. Be sure to click Submit once you are finished.
To record attendance, use the same filter tool to select the relevant course.
- Track student attendance by clicking Record Attendance.
- Select a course from the drop-down menu provided and then choose the applicable day/time from the drop down menu presented. This will pull up a list of the students in your class.
- Easily record attendance for all students by adjusting which attendance status is checked. The default setting will be set to “Present” for easier recording. Simply make any changes you need to by marking specific students as “Absent,” “Excused,” or “Late.” The option you choose will depend upon your own preferences and attendance policies for your course.
- Click Submit when you are finished.