Transfer Credit Policy and Procedures

Transfer Students

Transfer Course Equivalency Guide

The 3 step process for transfer students is the same regardless if you are transferring from another college, took college classes in high school or have AP, IB, CLEP, or earned military credit.

  1. Official Transcripts from high school (GED, Regents, IB Diploma), other college(s) and military documents (DD214 and military transcripts) must be sent to:

    Niagara County Community College
    Admissions Department
    3111 Saunders Settlement Rd
    Sanborn, NY 14132

  2. Transcript is reviewed and applicable credit is determined after acceptance into a major.
  3. Notification will be sent to the student containing the courses accepted by NCCC after the credit evaluation.


Usual processing time for credit evaluation is approximately two weeks. However, the process may take longer during peak times (beginning and ending of semesters). Early submission of transcripts allows for earlier advisement and registration planning.

Transfer Credit Policy

  • Only credits from regionally and nationally accredited colleges and programs are acceptable. For commonly transferred courses, visit our Course Equivalency Guide.
  • Courses must have a minimum grade of C (2.0) to be considered for transfer. S (Satisfactory) grades will also be considered, with the exclusion of certain Allied Health programs.
  • College credits are evaluated based on applicability to the degree major. If your major is changed after arriving at NCCC, transfer credits will be re-evaluated based on the new major.
  • The maximum number of credits awarded cannot exceed one-half of the total credits required for the degree at NCCC. At least fifty percent of your degree requirements must be met at NCCC.
  • Grades from previous colleges will not apply to your NCCC grade point average. Transfer grades appear on the transcript and degree evaluation as a "T" grade and carry earned hours only.
  • Students who do not agree with the College's decision regarding credit earned at a prior SUNY institution may submit an appeal to the College's Transfer Credit Evaluator. Students requesting an appeal must provide reasonable material to support their case, such as the course description or syllabus. Contact the NCCC Transfer Credit Evaluator in the Registration & Records Office (A201) to begin the appeals process. If an agreement cannot be reached, an appeal may be made to the SUNY system provost.

International Transcripts

NCCC requires that an international transcript evaluation be conducted by a NACES recognized member as found on

Notes to keep in mind

  • If currently enrolled at another college, you have the option to send the most recent official transcript with completed coursework for early evaluation. You will need to send a final official transcript at the conclusion of the current semester for evaluation of courses in progress, and to complete the transfer process.
  • AP (Advanced Placement) transcripts and CLEP (CEEB College Level Examination Program) scores must come directly from College Board. Contact to request an official copy to be sent to NCCC. Scores of 3 or higher on AP exams in applicable courses are acceptable.
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) credit is awarded for courses taken in high school with an HL designation and a score of 4 or higher. An IB transcript must be submitted to receive credit.
  • Credits earned through military service as recommended by the American Council on Education Registry are acceptable, as are other military credits, when applicable to the curriculum. Appropriate military documents (DD214, military transcript) must be submitted to receive credit.
  • If college courses were taken in high school, you must request an official transcript from the College through which those courses were taken in order for the credit to be evaluated.
  • If you earned credits at a college or university outside of the United States you must have your credits evaluated by a professional Credential Evaluation Agency. These agencies provide professional course by course evaluation of college and university credits. Charges for this service may vary. Some resources are Educational Credential Evaluators, World Education Services and Josef Silny & Associates.
  • Transcripts from Other Institutions: Student transcripts from previously-attended institutions that were provided for admissions consideration become the property of NCCC and are considered official only at the time of receipt. NCCC does not provide copies of transcripts from other institutions that are part of a student's education record. In order to obtain accurate up-to-date information and assure that no protocol of the issuing institution is circumvented, a student must contact the originating school for a copy of that transcript.

Considering transferring within the SUNY system?

Visit the SUNY transfer page for more information.