Health Studies, A.S.
Distance Learning option available
"Promoting healthy lifestyles"
Health Studies begins the professional preparation of health educators working in communities, schools and work sites.
Students who are best equipped for the future job market are the ones who have the flexibility to adapt to various career opportunities.
Top 5 Reasons Why a Health Studies Degree Can Help Your Future
Millions of people are employed in the healthcare sector and there is no end in sight as demand for new talent continues.
The Health Studies program at NCCC has been designed to give you a background and understanding of the latest health trends in America that are shaping the future and driving the national discussion.
- Every business, government and social policy involves the topic of health and safety. That’s why having an understanding what is happening in the health world increases your “value” in the job market.
- Remember, most people working in the healthcare sector are not doctors or nurses. In Western New York, tens of thousands of people are employed in administrative, support and staff positions in hospitals, medical centers, nursing homes, health insurance companies and public health agencies — great opportunities for people who have an educational background in health issues and trends.
- Interested in becoming a teacher? Thousands more are employed in public and private schools in Western New York at all grade levels from pre-K to college. Teachers who understand the value of prevention education and promoting healthy lifestyle choices are keys to student health and success.
- The job outlook is strong. Overall employment of health educators and community health workers is projected to grow 16 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. Growth will be driven by efforts to improve health outcomes and to reduce healthcare costs by teaching people healthy behaviors and explaining how to use available healthcare services.
- An Associate in Science degree in Health Studies can open the door to a bachelor’s degree in other more specific health and business fields that will be in high demand. Most Health Studies graduates go on to pursue more specialized degrees to find their ideal career path, such health care administration, physical therapy, dietetics, education, athletic training and dozens of other health related fields.
Program Goals and Objectives
- Academic Advisement targeted on developing educational and career goals that will facilitate appropriate certifications in the field and transfer to a Bachelor's degree program.
- Develop a professional electronic portfolio displaying a personal philosophy, a command of health literacy and the Health Educators Code of Ethics.
- Comprehend the contribution of multiple fields of knowledge such as, sociology, psychology, math and biology to the development of the field of health education.
The Health Studies program has proudly graduated students who went to work after graduation and those who transferred to public and private universities. There has been an impressive wide range of careers; public health, health promotion, medical instrument design, Alternative and Complementary Health, healthcare administration, nursing, school guidance, and wellness coordinators in communities, schools and worksites.
APPRECIATION PACKAGES FOR OUR TROOPS - Fall 2018
Health Studies Students collected and packaged items to be sent to our Troops overseas. Donations still being excepted! H-167, 614-6773 firstname.lastname@example.org