Health Studies, A.S.
Distance Learning option available
"Promoting healthy lifestyles"
Health Studies begins the professional preparation of health educators working in communities, schools and work sites.
What do they do??
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate the health improvement needs of specific populations (children, elderly, race, gender, geographic region,)
- Determine and coordinate services for these individuals on a local, state and federal level
- Apply research principles to enhance quality of life
- Teach K - 12, staff, wellness coordinator, school guidance
Community and Public Health
- Preserve, promote and protect the health of a defined population
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate health improvement programs
- Human resources, risk management, health improvement programs
- Health and life insurance specialists
- Patient educators in hospitals, doctor's offices, clinics
Program Goals and Objectives
- Academic Advisement targeted on developing educational and career goals that will facilitate appropriate certifications in the field and transfer to a Bachelor's degree program.
- Develop a professional electronic portfolio displaying a personal philosophy, a command of health literacy and the Health Educators Code of Ethics.
- Comprehend the contribution of multiple fields of knowledge such as, sociology, psychology, math and biology to the development of the field of health education.
The Health Studies program has proudly graduated students who went to work after graduation and those who transferred to public and private universities. There has been an impressive wide range of careers; public health, health promotion, medical instrument design, Alternative and Complementary Health, healthcare administration, nursing, school guidance, and wellness coordinators in communities, schools and worksites.