Liberal Arts and Sciences: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), A.A.
The TESOL Jointly Registered Program is designed to give students the knowledge, skills and experiences that will prepare them to transfer to Niagara University's baccalaureate program. It provides the foundation to become certified in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages in grades K-12. Opportunities for employment in this certification area remain high. There is a need to hire many TESOL teachers during the coming years to keep up with projected teacher vacancies and the rising number of students in need of these services.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To prepare NCCC students for seamless transfer into the Bachelor of Arts degree program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages at Niagara University.
- To provide a mechanism to share resources and program goals across faculty of the two institutions.
- To provide the opportunity for first generation college students, many of who are from rural areas, to consider teaching as a career.
- To encourage teachers to consider careers in rural areas of New York State.
- Broaden his/her general education background and core knowledge through course work in humanities, social sciences, mathematics, fine arts, computer technology and sciences.